JOB SUMMARY: Provides direct nursing care to patients involving surgical procedures. Supports and espouses the mission and policies of the Center.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Includes the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Communicates appropriately with peers, management and physicians, patients and patient’s family members.
- Participates in the Center’s committees, staff meetings and in-services.
- Adheres to surgical policies and procedures, and monitoring of the environment.
- Keeps the Clinical Director informed of problems involving patients, surgeons and equipment in the OR.
- Demonstrates competence in surgical flow, sterile technique, patient positioning, safety practices, equipment and supplies usage, and infection control processes.
- Responsible for periodic review of policies pertinent to the position.
- Efficient in chart documentation and computer skills necessary to retrieve patient information.
- Competent in preparing and administering medication.
- Aware of and assists in cost-savings opportunities, as well as appropriate documentation and management of supplies.
- Assists anesthesia staff, OR tech and surgeon as needed.
- Demonstrates efficiency in turnovers and process of the surgery schedule.
Qualification Requirements: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: Must be a licensed registered nurse with two years related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience. Has obtained or will obtain within 6 months of employment CPR and ACLS certification.
Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as physician orders, laboratory results, safety rules, operating and technical instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense and critical thinking and understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Certificates, License, Registrations: Current nursing license from the State of Wisconsin and current CPR certification and ACLS certification or will obtain within 6 months of employment.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or control; reach with hands and arms, and talk and hear. The employee occasionally is required to sit. The employee is frequently required to bend, lift, stoop, kneel crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 50 pounds. Must have good visual acuity.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to chemical fumes or airborne particles. There is a risk of electrical shock, exposure to radiation and occasional exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Comments: Decision-making is limited to the scope of the job; however, decisions made have a direct impact on the lives of patients.