A BUNION is a prominence at the great toe joint. Bunion surgery, also called bunionectomy is performed to treat deformed bone of the great toe joint.
THE PROCEDURE: The surgeon may repair the bunion by:
- Shaving off the bump on the toe joint.
- Cutting parts of the bones on each side of the toe joint, then putting them in their proper position.
- Removing the damaged part of the joint.
- Making certain tendons or ligaments shorter or longer.
- Arthrodesis, which involves taking out the damaged part of the joints and then using screws, wires, or a plate to hold the joint together.
AFTER THE PROCEDURE:
You will go home the same day you have your bunion surgery. Your recovery time will vary depending upon the type of procedure that was performed.